We all know that waking up on the wrong side of the bed can set the tone for the entire day. If your morning is overflowing with frustration and dejection, your chances of being productive later in the day become slim. But if you manage to begin the day with a positive attitude, your chances of being successful as you play poker online increase exponentially.
Now, you must be asking yourself how you should start your day if you want to have a decent poker experience? Why should you stick to a familiar morning routine on days when you play poker? And what should this routine include? We'll answer those pressing questions in a moment!
The Importance of a Morning Routine for Playing Poker
Studies show that people of all ages can greatly benefit from having a daily routine. Kids, for example, can develop better social skills and become more successful in academics if they have a daily routine.
Adults can also enjoy the benefits of sticking to a strict daily schedule. It has been concluded that people with a greater daily routine are in better physical shape and often suffer less from anxiety and depressive syndromes when compared to adults with low levels of daily routine.
Ultimately, a proper routine can affect your stress levels, improve your overall health, and allow you to sleep better. And all of that is crucial if you want to have a good poker experience. It will allow you to approach the game with more focus and a calm attitude, increasing your odds at the table.
But on top of it all, a daily routine promotes self-discipline. Following the same routine even on days when your spirits are low and being consistent is hard will teach you a lot about tenaciousness and persistence – both of which are crucial traits any poker player should have.
Tips on How to Develop a Good Morning Routine for Poker Players
To start your day just right, here are a few things you can do when the sun comes up:
- Make your bed – Sounds weird, right? What does making your bed have to do with making a profit from playing poker? According to William H. McRaven, a former navy admiral, making your bed in the morning is bound to set you up for success. According to McRaven's theory, this one little action can give you a sense of accomplishment first thing in the morning. Even if you don't get to complete your entire to-do list, you can easily cross out one item off your list. Beginning your day with this small yet important feeling of success will encourage you to accomplish even more throughout the day, including putting the time and effort into perfecting your poker play.
- Eat a healthy breakfast – As many people say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Fueling your body first thing in the morning will give you the energy you need to be productive and focused. But eating junk food won't cut it, as those foods might be high in calories. However, they have little nutritional value. Make sure your menu includes proteins, whole carbs, and plenty of vitamins.
- Avoid distractions – More often than not, when people wake up, the first thing they do is check their phone. All forms of media – whether you check your social media accounts, listen to the news, or watch TV – can bring on a lot of anxiety and stress. Cutting yourself off from the world for an hour can help you remain calm and start your day without unnecessarily worrying about stuff you can't change. If you can stay calm, your performance at the poker table is bound to improve.
- Find a way to relax – If taking a step back from the world is not enough to keep you serene, find an activity that can help you reach the desired state of mind. Meditating, exercising, or writing in your journal might be the way to go.
- Make a to-do list – Mapping out your day can help you keep your eyes on the ball, allowing you to achieve your goals more easily. Comprise a list of what you want to do that day first thing in the morning and try to stick to it. But remember to stick to the SMART module: your goals should be Specific to your needs, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-based.
- Start with the most important task of the day – The moment you complete your morning ritual, you're at your best. And that's exactly when you should strive to accomplish the most important task of the day. If you plan on practicing for a few hours, don't procrastinate and start playing once you're done with your routine. Trust us, you are bound to be more productive!
You don't need a lot of time to get your head in the game and start your day in a positive manner. You need little more than one hour to execute your morning routine and improve your productivity as you play poker online.
Like Mike Murdock said: the secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine. If you want your future to be a success story, start by adopting the right morning schedule!