When do you get to play poker online? First thing in the morning, or later in the day, after you get off work? Most recreational players have jobs and other responsibilities they have to prioritize, which means they can enjoy the exciting game only after a long day of work or on weekends.
Unfortunately, playing poker at night is not an ideal situation. You are bound to be tired and somewhat unfocused, which can reduce your chances of winning – even if you have a strong flush poker combo.
But don't despair! Some methods and techniques can help you regain your composure and get focused for your poker session. That way, you will be able to play to the best of your abilities. Are you ready to learn how you can freshen up and reboot your mind to have a more successful poker session?
5 Tips on How to Refresh Your Mind When Playing Poker
- Take a power nap – On days when you don't sleep enough at night on top of having a long and tiring schedule, you can recharge your mental batteries by taking a nap. According to the Sleep Foundation, the perfect nap lasts 10-20 minutes, as it helps you recover without making you feel groggy afterward. Make sure to nap at least an hour before you plan on playing poker, so you will have time to wake up completely before you place your bets.
- Eliminate noises and listen to relaxing music – Throughout the day, your brain is assaulted with tons of information it has to deal with. Therefore, by the time you get home, you might feel overwhelmed and unable to deal with any more stimulators. So, before you play poker – which requires the ability to deal with a lot of details – you have to destress. First of all, try to avoid unnecessary distractions by eliminating noises. Make sure you have some peace and quiet as you get ready to play online and listen to some calming music to relax even more.
- Practice belly breathing – Since online poker can be highly exciting and competitive, you have to approach the game with a clear mind and a calm attitude. Deep breathing can help you reduce your stress levels, decrease your heart rate, and help you relax. Close your eyes, take some deep, belly breaths, and exhale slowly to get into the right frame of mind.
- Spend time with your pets or loved ones – Surrounding yourself with anything and anyone that makes you smile is a sure way to unwind before a good poker session. Spend some time with your pets, have a laugh with your friends or family, and get your spirits up before you try to win the entire pot in your next session!
- Do some exercises – Physical activity is a useful method to reduce stress and increase the release of endorphins – a chemical that triggers a positive and happy feeling. So, if you want to let go of any stress you might have accumulated during the day, take the time to exercise for a bit. Once you do, you will be abler to play poker with a smile on your face and plenty of motivation to help you fight your way out of tough situations.
While you might not be able to control which cards you get at the poker tables, you can control your attitude as you play – and that can increase your chances of winning more hands! Which tactic do you prefer to utilize when mentally preparing and freshening up before your next game?